Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Speeches

I notice that more often than not, I put other ppl's stuff here. I don't write myself.
When I write, I write the lamest things.

Haha. I have some stuff I want to write.
But I don't think I've found the right words, right flow yet. :(
And I procrastinate.

Haiz.

---
I just did my second Toastmasters speech last evening. It wasn't fantastic. It was impromptu although it was supposed to be a prepared speech. I find it extremely difficult to force myself to practice.
The problem with my speech is the content. It has to do with self-worth and all.

Some said it's vague, some said it's boring. It's vague - i guess it's because I'm not very clear about my topic. But it still had a sense of purpose - to explain why we should never judge others nor ourselves. Some said it's boring because it was done more lecture-ish style, that I should instead incorporate more story/personal anecdotes/to make it something the audience doesn't know. I'm like heck lah. It's not to say everyone in the audience doesn't judge. But then again, most of the time, the brain knows, the heart doesn't. That's why there's the need to add in a personal story, a personal touch, something I am still unable to do. This is why my Commonapp essay (open-ended US application essay) has no power. :(


Anyway, I don't know what I'm going to speak about next. So, in search of inspiration, I found a site that lists the "top 100" speeches in America's history. The speeches are soooooo long. I'm too lazy to read. But I see there're convenient links to some points of history. I'll explore it further later. I've only read & listened to one of them:

The Perils of Indifference - by Elie Wiesel.

Here's an excerpt:
Can one possibly view indifference as a virtue? Is it necessary at times to practice it simply to keep one's sanity, live normally, enjoy a fine meal and a glass of wine, as the world around us experiences harrowing upheavals?



Hmm. I don't know. :(
I'd like to say that there's nothing much I can do at this point.

Then I was reminded about Obama's speech somewhere.

But I hope you’ll remember, during those times of doubt and frustration, that there is nothing naïve about your impulse to change this world. Because all it takes is one act of service – one blow against injustice – to send forth that tiny ripple of hope that Robert Kennedy spoke of.


I wondered, what's this "ripple of hope"? So I googled it.
Here's an excerpt of Kennedy's "Ripple of Hope" speech.

Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation. Thousands of Peace Corps volunteers are making a difference in isolated villages and city slums in dozens of countries. Thousands of unknown men and women in Europe resisted the occupation of the Nazis and many died, but all added to the ultimate strength and freedom of their countries. It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”

–Senator Robert F. Kennedy, June 6th, 1966

Hm... Obama surely knows how to make his speech sound flowery.
Hmm.. It sounds like there might be something I can do even during this holiday.

But what? What is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment