Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Caught Offguard

Being indirectly rejected by a potential thesis supervisor
Feels like failing an impromptu interview

I didn't anticipate it
Through a meeting at another place, she obliged to help me explore thesis topics, with no promises.

But in her office
She wasn't really helping me determine a topic.
She was determining the kind of person I was based on my background - of where I'm from, what I intend to do after graduation, what's my grade, whether or not I'm on track for first class honours.
Her method of rejection, was to ask me to wait to see the other supervisor, who did not have me on his list, which she might have found out earlier, as she was in his room.

I should've been more aware, and asked why
Or at least pondered at her type of questions, and waited in the silence to let her lead the questions, rather than bombard straight into what I've been thinking about for the thesis - just because her invitation was to help me explore the thesis topic.

All the advice I got, was to concretise the topic.
But that's the area of help I need! :(

This was the worst, and most intense first day of any semester, ever.

Feels like all my efforts of preparing somewhat for thesis in the field of retirement or inequality is wasted.

But hopefully other, perhaps less experienced supervisors in this field will still be awesome.

But I'm just too tired. Why is the deadline today?

No comments:

Post a Comment